Re: LCD sync rates

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 10:59:28AM -0700, Heather wrote:
> > and the slightest variation can result in a black screen when your start
> > the X server.
>
> I recommend having your net connection live and be ssh'd in from another box.
> That keeps you a visible text session.
>
> You can sometimes use a different GUI utility (e.g. SVGAlib app, or vga_reset
> or something) to reinit the video and keep working without having to reboot
> to yank its chain.

 CTRL+ALT+backspace or CTRL+ALT+F1 still work even when the display
doesn't want to show you anything.  If the X server locks up, you can
always use alt+sysrq+u, alt+sysrq+b to umount/remount-readonly all
your partitions, then reboot.  This is handled very early on in the
kernel, so it doesn't stop working no matter what user space software
does, unless the kernel itself actually locks up, or the keyboard
physically stops working.

 Of course, rebooting takes time, so if ctrl+alt+backspace doesn't
work then logging in remotely with ssh or a null modem before messing
with stuff will save time.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y