Re: What's your favorite inexpensive Linux laptop?

I do work for HP so this is a biased opinion...nonetheless,
on the newer side, I've been using HP OmniBook 500 and
OmniBook 6000 laptops and love 'em both.  The 500 is very
lightweight and easy to schlep around, with 3+ hour battery
life easy.  But, my eyesight is not the best in the world,
so I typically carry around the 6000 (bigger display, at
1400x1280).  I can get the dual batteries (one main and one
module plugged in) to run just over three hours, too, if I
don't use my wireless LAN and I make the screen background
all black.  If I have to travel at all, though, it's the 500
(it's also much less expensive than the 6000).

On the older side, I've used an HP OmniBook 4150, too.  Also
a nice box, with pretty good display.  You might be able to
get a good deal on a used one of these.

All of these machines have been running potato, too.  There
are folks in my group running unstable on their laptops, too;
seems to work pretty well so far.

That's my $0.02 worth...

Alex Swavely wrote:

> I have an old IBM 385ED, works dandy...  Modem and ethernet are external
> (pcmcia or via serial/paralel ports), just gotta make sure there's a FAT16
> partiton for the hibernation file (the size of your installed RAM)...  Only
> issue I have is BIOS limits HD size to 5.1 GB.
>
> Friend's got a couple of Toshiba Satellites he got through work that work
> just as well, same approx. size, same pointer (eraser in the middle of
> keyboard), same screen size..

Ciao,
al
Al Stone