installing debian2.2 on a ibm thinkpad760el

anyone have xperience installing debian2.2 on an ibm
thinkpad760el. im using 2.2r3. in this laptop uses the
same drive bay for the floppy or the cdrom drive so
its an either or thing and the cdrom is not
bootable.im using the newest version of the bios
firmware ibm currently has on their site.

the bootfloppy hangs w/ some kinda error relating to
the harddrive. if i try preinstalling debian on the
harddrive w/ my desktop the laptop shuts its selfdown
while the kernel is loading.

sounds like bios apm incompatibility to me??  since
the thinkpad doesnt have much in the way of bios
config is my only option a custon kernel? i dont c an
easy work around to this, any idears??