date keeps getting advanced

Hi, I just installed Debian on my laptop.  For some reason, my date keeps
getting advanced by days at a time.  I think the problem could be caused by
power management.  Currently, BIOS makes the system go to sleep even if I don't
let Linux manage power.
I am using the standard Kernel version 2.2.19 which I used to to the install.
I added the command in lilo.conf to enable power management in the Kernel.
This allowed the "shutdown -h" command to actually power off the system,
but I don't think things work corectly.

Thanks in advance.
          Kenny