Re: moving to a new laptop

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Philipp Bliedung wrote:

> I'm going to move to a new laptop pretty soon. My question:
> Can I simply "move" all the software to the new one? (Well, except for
> the XConfig and other hardware stuff like sound, 3D, etc...)

I cannot see why not.  Just remember before you move the stuff across stop
X from booting up automatically when you boot you machine.  This will me
nasty stuff won't happen as you turn on your laptop.

You will need a new kernel, however theres about a 90% your current one
will boot, needless to say there will be hundreds of error messages on
bootup.  Hopefully you will be able to get your laptop to a kernel
compiling phase and sort things out like bootup and X.

have fun

Alex