Re: T22 modem setup / configuration with 2.2r3 installation help needed

> Randolph Kahle <RandyKahle@KahleAssociates.com> writes:
>
> > Now I need to configure the modem and get dial-up ISP support working. I
> > have never done this on any Linux installation and I believe I do not
> > even have the modem working on the T22.
>
> Depends on what you have in it.
>
> If you don't have a Mini-PCI ethernet/modem combo card (ie, the
> ethernet port in the back doesn't work), you have a Lucent Winmodem.
> Check out Lucent Winmodem Driver
> <URL:http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/> (which I haven't tried).

In my past experience, if you install wvdial it works for many circumstances,
the "auto detect your modem" feature offered by wvdialconf is extremely
comforting.

If you have an LTmodem (as one model I was playing with did) then the
auto detect will work, once you have the ltmodem module properly loaded.
In our setup it decided it was ttyS14 and I had to create the /dev/modem
symlink pointing to that in order to make other things happy.

> If you do have an ethernet/modem combo card, you may or may not get it
> to work.  If it's a 3com card, there's no driver for the modem yet,
> afaik.  If it's an Intel card, the Lucent driver is reported to work
> with it.

See linmodems.org for more details that you really wanted to know :)
To cut it down to the laptop typical stuff - lucent released binary
drivers which were crummy, the open world is working on our own.  IBM
is fully supporting a project (*with* source) that gets their Mwave
softmodems working, but many thinkpads either have normal modems or none.

Look out for finding pcmcia modems that turn out to be winmodems too :(

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...