Re: XFree *working* on Laptop with SiS630 (: !!!!!!

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 12:54:09PM +0200, Franz Keferböck wrote:
> XAIPE!

	Saludos!

> Thanx for your answer and all the description on how to get it work with
> SiS'
> dirvers, but i've found another solution - with all its good and bad
> side-effects.
> You told me that you're only going with 640x400, which is -hmmm - quite a
> bit small...
> However, I'm writing here with my Laptop via GMX-webmail in a
> Konquerer-window with
> 1024x768 at 16bpp. But I'm not - and thats the only bat thing at all -
> running

	Ohhhhhh....  :)))))

> accellerated X but simply the XFree VESA-driver! (I just took the original
> standard
> Configuration of XF86Config of the XFree4.0.3 debs and changed in the
> "Device"-Section the "Driver" from "SiS" to "vesa"). No patching, no other
> special
> things to do just that. (I dont know if its neccessary but im booting with
> the
> vesa-framebuffer; this might be a reason for not working, but I dont think
> so. And if
> it is, its no problem tu build a new Kernel (2.4.3 in my case) and include
> Vesa-FB
> (NOT SiS-Framebuffer - i doesnt work!!!)

	Maybe that's the key, I recall I tried the framebuffer, but probably I did not tested the vesa-fb + the vesa X driver.

> Just have a go, is by far nicer than 640x480. (You cant do more than
> 1024x768x16!!!

	That sounds great.

> But thats enough...)
>
> C U

	Thanks a lot for your contribution; I will try it as soon as I
can.

	After so many suggestions, I am thinking that it could be very
helpful for us and many other people writing a recipe with the this
solutions.