Re: How Sound on Thinkpad380ED?

  There is a driver for this chip in ALSA, which is what I use
  with very good results.

  To use the ALSA sound drivers, compile your kernel with only
  sound support, no other drivers.

  Goto www.alsa.org and get the lates drivers, utilities and
  libraries .tgz's and tar xzf each one in your /usr/src
  directory.  Read the INSTALL file in each newly created
  directory for compile instructions (./configure, make, make
  install) starting with the drivers, then libs, then utilities.
  You'll need to edit your /etc/modules.conf file to add some
  alias and maybe create the /dev sound files, detailed in the
  ALSA docs.

  That should do it.  Read everything at least once before you
  start to get the feel for the process.

  jc

Thusly Thwacked By Jan Hearthstone: