Debian Sid & network problems with suspend/resume

Hi,

I have a HP OmniBook XE2 DC laptop and a 3Com 3c575 pcmcia card. I'm
having terrible problems getting the network interface to work
properly after a suspend/resume cycle.

The laptop has a buggy apm BIOS, so I have to issue cardctl eject to
make the NIC survive suspending in /etc/apm/event.d/pcmcia. The
problem is, cardctl eject always responds "ioctl(): Device or resource
busy". Shutting down the network interface does not affect the
situation, nor can I find any daemon that would keep the inteface
reserved. Lsmod always shows usage count of at least 1 for the
3c575_cb module.

I know the problem can be solved, since I had no such difficulties
with Red Hat 7.0. I just would like to find out, how. :-)

The kernel is self-compiled 2.4.4, with APM configuration as follows
(identical to my late RH setup):

CONFIG_PM=y
# CONFIG_ACPI is not set
CONFIG_APM=m
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

The pcmcia-cs stuff is version 3.1.25-3, with self-compiled modules.

While trying to isolate the problem I also noticed that ignoring
standby calls while on AC does not work on my laptop, so I commented
that out from /etc/apm/apmd_proxy.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Best regards,

Matti Airas