pcmcia locks my system

I recently got a Dell Latitiude C800, and have been spending the day
trying to debug this ...

The pcmcia-cs package, when run, hardlocks my system.  Things run fine
when I turn it off from etc/pcmcia.conf, however, any attempt to run the
pcmcia userland deamons hardlocks the system. I have to pull the battery
to reboot the machine.

It behaved this way from a fresh install of potato r3, so I don't think
it's anything I did ... does anybody have any suggestions?

 -  flip
--
//    [pgp] 1024D/8DCB7ED5   		[http] meteu.octoraro.org
Subtlety is the art of saying what you think and getting out of the way