Re: thinkpad ps/2 mouse under X with gpm

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Peter Cordes wrote:

>  Recent gpm versions (or maybe it's done this all along) will release the

Judging from observer behaviour, I would guess that it has not done this
all along.

> mouse when you're not in X.  I've got a couple systems with PS/2 mice, and
> gpm/X don't have any problems interacting.  Both X and gpm are reading from
> /dev/psaux.

Fine. Is this the case in potato? Or was it introduced in the woody
package?

>  If you don't believe this, then use strace on GPM, and observe that it
> close(2)s the mouse device when you switch back to X, and reopens it when

I have no reason to disbelieve you, but until such time as all psaux
grabbing software is this considerate, it's still a good thing to know,
yes?

--
"They're unfriendly, which is fortunate, really.  They'd be difficult
to like."