Re: laptop freeze [siemens nixdorf - mobile 500]

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 12:53:37PM +0200, Joachim Schiele wrote:

> when i plug the powercable into the laptop and start it it's running quite
> nice but when i use the batteries only it freezes up very short after boot-up.
> for example while it's starting samba. i'm only able then to turn off power
> and reboot and i never got it completely running with batteries :P
> i only can use it under linux with the powercalbe plugged.
>
> does someone have the same problem?

I have a laptop that's prone to freezing, but I'm pretty sure mine's a
hardware problem -- It's better if I refrigerate it before booting it, which
would imply a loose connection somewhere.

But it's more likely that your kernel & bios disagree about power settings.
You might try compiling the kernel with APM support (or turn it off if it's
on), and also try turning off power-saving features in the BIOS.

Jon Leonard