VGA Mode and Framebuffer Problem

   I'm trying to get my console screen to display in 1024x768,
   and I'm having some trouble.  I've compiled into my 2.2.19
   kernel the following:

   CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
   CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
   CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
   # CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
   CONFIG_FB=y
   CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
   # CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
   # CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
   CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
   # CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
   CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
   # CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
   # CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
   # CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
   # CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED is not set
   CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
   CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
   CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
   CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
   # CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
   # CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS is not set
   CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
   CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

   And, I put vga=ask in lilo.conf, so I can play with the
   different choices of resolutions.

   My video chip is the ATI Rage Mobility M1 in a Dell Latitude
   CPx.

   This part works on every setting, and my favorite is 317 which
   is 1024x768 and 64k.

   fbset returns...

   mode "1024x768-76"
   # D: 78.653 MHz, H: 59.949 kHz, V: 75.694 Hz
   geometry 1024 768 1024 768 16
   timings 12714 128 32 16 4 128 4
   rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/0
   endmode

   Now the problem...When I startx, all goes haywire.  I get a
   nice splash of every color with a lava-lamp effect.  I can't
   change back to the console, because that's infected too.  I
   have to reboot and use one of the 640x480 settings to get X
   to run right.

   I suspect that the console and X modes are butting heads, and
   I've had a recommendation to match them up, but I can't figure
   out how to do that yet.

   Any help will be much appreciated.

   jc