Update: Re: PCMCIA Support for 2.2.19 kernel

Eric Richardson wrote:

> Walt Mankowski wrote:
> >
> > I'm confused as to how to upgrade my laptop (currently running potato
> > 2.2r3) from kernel 2.2.17 to 2.2.19.  Which pcmcia-modules package
> > should I install?  There are four choices:
> >
> > pcmcia-modules-2.2.19pre17
> > pcmcia-modules-2.2.19pre17-compact
> > pcmcia-modules-2.2.19pre17-ide
> > pcmcia-modules-2.2.19pre17-idepci
> >
> > That gives me only two choices for a kernel image:
> >
> > kernel-image-2.2.19pre17-compact
> > kernel-image-2.2.19pre17-idepci
> >
> > Which of these, if any, should I install?  Any idea why there aren't
> > any pcmcia-modules packages for the released 2.2.19 kernel?
>
> I'm not sure what to do so I went ahead and filed a bug report. It
> doesn't make
> sense to me.  It might just be an oversight as the package is not in the
> stable archive. I tried to install the pcmcia-modules-2.1.19-2
> I found in  unstable and it doesn't work. I'm using 2.2.17 until this is
> resolved or I compile them myself.

I added the following to /etc/apt/sources.list

# proposed
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/potato-proposed-updates/
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US
dists/potato-proposed-updates/

apt-get install pcmcia-modules-2.2.19

The updated the modules and added pcmcia and also updated the 2.2.19
kernel to one that matches the compiled modules.

I've been using this for a while without any trouble that I'm aware of.

Eric