Re: printing

On Sun, 6 May 2001, steve thompson wrote:

> I've copied my /etc/printcap file below in case that helps.  I set it up
> using
> magic filter.  I did not see a driver for Epson 740 so I chose the Epson
> 800,
> thinking that might be closest, and put in three different dpi
> resolutions.  At the
> lowest resolution (360), the dvips command prints a low-quality page,
> but at
> the higher resolutions it does the endless pages through as described
> above.

I was stumped with this for ages too until I used the generic epson stylus
driver (StylusColor-generic-filter) and then everything worked fine.
However I am using the printer over a samba network whilst connected to a
Win98 machine (with print sharing).

I would love to give more advice however everything of my is scripted up
so that magicfilter runs happily with samba (and prints user information
on the remote machine).  All I can tell you is to use the generic one,
however I notice you already have it in your printcap file.

Just incase it helps I have included my scripts and stuff, you may be able
to salvage stuff:

good luck

Alex

------------/etc/printcap-------------

smb-newflesh:\
        :cm=EPSON Stylus COLOR 740:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/smb-newflesh:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/smb-newflesh/acct:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/smb-newflesh-filter:

--------------------------------------

------------/usr/local/bin/smb-newflesh-filter------------

#!/bin/sh

spool_dir=/var/spool/lpd/`echo $8 | awk '{ print substr($0,3) }'`
logfile=$spool_dir/log
eval `cat $spool_dir/.config`

(
        echo "print -"
        /etc/magicfilter/StylusColor-generic-filter
) | /usr/bin/smbclient "//$server/$service" $password -U $username -N -P
$extra >> $logfile

**the last (maybe) two lines are actually one line**

------------/var/spool/lpd/smb-newflesh/.config-------------------

server=newflesh
service=printer
username=`echo $1 | awk '{ print substr(substr($0, 3),1,index($1,"+")-3)
}'`
password="<erm insert stuff here>"
extra="-I 172.16.2.1" # for speed