Re: 2.2/potato + 2.4.4 kernel on Toshiba 8100?

I have had very little trouble.  In the kernel source
tree, look at the file Documentation/Changes.  This
will tell you what all you need to upgrade (and how to
tell what you have).

If this is any kind of critical system, you should
make sure you keep your current kernel around in case
something goes horribly wrong (configure lilo so that
you have the option of reverting).

Dhruva