Re: 2.2/potato + 2.4.4 kernel on Toshiba 8100?

On 4 May 2001, Norman Walsh wrote:

> I'd like to experiment with some USB stuff that requires the 2.4.4
> kernel. I've built 2.4.4 on top of a 2.2/potato desktop system using
> the ~bunk updates and everything seems to be working ok.
>
> But my laptop is really my production system, so before I go making a
> mess of it :-), I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has tried and
> experienced success or failure?

I apt'ed my laptop to woody, then compiled up a 2.4.3-ac14 kernel, so far
my thinkpad a20p seems fine. [I would have compiled 2.4.4, but the patch
wouldn't apply cleanly, and I couldn't be bothered to sit through another
download]

I know not of these '~bunk' updates that you earth people speak of,
but it's worth noting that apm didn't compile cleanly as a module for me,
I had to compile it in monolithically, and I have not yet tried
devfs+devfsd. The XFree86 3.6 -> 4 upgrade was not a problem for me,
because I was already running an Xfree86 4 release I'd compiled myself:
I just saved the config file [to another machine, just to be paranoid],
hosed the non-debian XFree installation, and then did the apt-get
dist-upgrade, apt-get install [various xfree packages].

I haven't tested the USB support yet, but seeing as I've just fiddled with
the usb hid driver to get my joystick to work, I suppose I could actually
test it, now that I have a known working device with which to do so...

--
Nobody wants constructive criticism.  It's all we can do to put up with
constructive praise.