Re: ppp- and dns-problem

Am Sonntag, 29. April 2001 01:27 schrieb Peter Cordes:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 10:17:21PM +0200, Vincent Laisney wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a problem for the configuration of ppp (pppd) with a combi-card
> > modem+ethernet. I use either ethenet or a ppp-connection with an ISP.
> > I have tried wvdialconfig for the configuration and i could not resolve
> > the
> > domaines names. I have also tried pppconfig (where it is possible to
> > specify
> > a static-dns-server. But it doesn't work. With
> > netstat -rn
> > I get no default line.
> > I have tried to set up directly a route with
> >
> > route add default gw 62.104.196.134
> >
> > and I get the following error
> >
> > SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
>
>  BTW,  SIOCADDRT == Socket IO Control: Add Route.  (io control = ioctl())
>  This error happens if the gateway you are trying to add to the routing
> table wasn't already reachable through some other entry in the routing
> table.  i.e. on an ethernet, if you have eth0 with an IP address of
> 10.0.0.15, (netmask 255.0.0.0 (/24)), then your routing table before you
> add the default route will be:
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface 10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0
> 0 eth0
>
>  If I ran  route add default gw 192.168.0.1, it won't work, because the
> kernel doesn't know how to reach that host.  That makes it pretty hard to
> start sending all our packets through it, doesn't it :)
>
> After running  route add default gw 10.0.0.1, it will be:
> 10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
> eth0 0.0.0.0         10.0.0.1        0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
> 0 eth0
>
>  If you're using ppp, you should just tell pppd to set a default route.  It
> has an option to do this, called defaultroute.  Just add that to your
> /etc/ppp/options, or /etc/ppp/peers/filename.
>
>  If you want to manually add a default route with ppp, the gateway you
> specify _must_ be the ppp peer, i.e. the IP that ifconfig ppp0 shows as the
> Point-to-point IP.  (If you already added a non-default route with the
> ppp peer as the gateway, you still have to use the ppp peer as the gateway.
> There is no way to ask a host that you can't reach directly to forward a
> packet for you, since there is no way to tell the first hop router who to
> forward to, other than the final destination.  Think about it.  Or don't if
> this isn't what you were trying to do, since it's not easy to understand
> unless you know networking :)
>
>  Also, why were you talking about DNS in the start of your message, then
> switched to talking about routing.  The route command has nothing at all to
> do with DNS.  It will use DNS if you give host names instead of IPs, but
> that's all.  The routing configuration affects whether DNS will work or
> not, because the servers you specify in /etc/resolv.conf must be reachable,
> [...]

Thank you for your very informative answer.
I couldn't use the dns (and therefore I couldn't do anything in Internet)
because the routing table were false.
When the ethenet is not running the ppp works now fine for me (I have posted
the result of netstat -rn in a preceding message).

I have now now two scheme for pcmcia as following (in
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts)

case "$ADDRESS" in
work,*,*,*)
	# Transceiver selection, for some cards -- see 'man ifport'
	IF_PORT="auto"
	# Use /sbin/pump for BOOTP/DHCP? [y/n]
	PUMP="n"
	# Host's IP address, netmask, network address, broadcast address
	IPADDR="192.168.1.200"
	NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
	NETWORK="192.168.1.0"
	BROADCAST="192.168.1.255"
	GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"
	DNS_1="213.36.80.1"
	;;
home,*,*,*|default,*,*,*)
	#empty definitions
	IF_PORT="auto"
	PUMP="n"
	IPADDR=""
	NETMASK=""
	NETWORK=""
	BROADCAST=""
	GATEWAY=""
	DNS_1=""
	;;
esac

and with the "scheme home", ethernet doesn't run and so I can run ppp without
to have to shutdown eth0 with
ifconfig eth0 down

Vincent Laisney