ppp- and dns-problem

Hi,
I have a problem for the configuration of ppp (pppd) with a combi-card
modem+ethernet. I use either ethenet or a ppp-connection with an ISP.
I have tried wvdialconfig for the configuration and i could not resolve
the
domaines names. I have also tried pppconfig (where it is possible to
specify
a static-dns-server. But it doesn't work. With
netstat -rn
I get no default line.
I have tried to set up directly a route with

route add default gw 62.104.196.134

and I get the following error

SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

The problem is maybe that Linux is trying to use eth0 for finding the
dns-serveer but the pcmcia card isn't connected to any network.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks

Vincent Laisney