Help: Partition OK but packages all screwed up

Hi,
     I posted a message about my Partition Screw-up. Thanks to those who
replied.

I have the system booting off floppy. I worked out that I needd to
recreate
/lib/modules/2.2.17 and copy files/directories from
/lib/modules.old/2.2.17 which
fixed the modprobe problem and gives me back my LAN.

For newcomers:-

Computer Gateway 5150 Notebool PII-233 64Mb RAM 4.3 GB HDD dual boot
WinNT/Linux.

I expanded the partition but failed to realise that LILO uses an
absolute position for the boot
sector and so it would not boot.
At that point panic set in. I decided that I must have screwed up the
kernel image and so did a base
install from the 2.2r0 CD.

With help from a number of people I have it so it boots and loads
modules. On completion
of the boot it presents a copy of the "Debian System Configuration"
screens - the md5 password one!
If I follow the prompts through 4 screens there is brief flash of
text "loading /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us/kmaps.gz" - as best I
can read it.
So how doI fix that?
I can log in on tty2, only as root and without a password.

I have 1230196 blocks used but dpkg only shows 79 of 296 packages
installed.
"startx" comes up with a message that libXmu.so.6 is missing and a
"find" doesn't find it.
All the X packages are there in /var/cache/apt/archives.

Prior to my breaking it the system was running  Ximian1.4 Gnome
(just upgraded from Helix1.2) , ice-wm, with Netcape as my mail/news
reader.

If anyone know how to get apt/capt to recognise the existing packages
it would be a great help.

Well I guess I proved the old adage " a little bit of knowledge is a
dangerous thing" :)

Any suggestions on how to procede would be very welcome.

TIA,
        Tim Wood