Re: APM - ACPI

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 05:31:06PM +0200, Gabor Zoltan Csejtey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody used ACPI? I've got troubles using apm on a SONY VAIO F801.
> The processor is AMD K6-III Stepping 4.

As far as I know ACPI or APM is an issue for the motherboard and BIOS,
rather than strictly depending on the main processor itself.

Anyway, I've been unimpressed enough with ACPI to not bother worrying about
it for the time being.  I have both ACPI and APM compiled in, but APM gets
preference, contrary to the documentation.  ACPI can't determine battery
levels yet.  And worst of all, I couldn't get the suspend function to work
with ACPI.

In short, I found ACPI basically useless.  But, it's under development, so
maybe it'll come good sooner or later.  And it's usefulness no doubt varies
from one system to another.

Drew

p.s.  I have a Toshiba 490CDT with Pentium II 233MHz.

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A