Re: Presentation

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Daniel Payno wrote:

> The reason of my newcoming to this list is that I've recently adquired
> second hand IBM Thinkpad 560X laptop, from which I'm actually
> writing this mail, currently running Debian testing/unstable with
> kernel 2.4.2... ;) got everything except 800x600 resolution in text
> mode.... ¿any ideas? ;)

what you need (if you really need this) is to set up the framebuffer
stuff.  However in my opinion this is a *very* silly thing mainly because
it sucks up those CPU cycles as if they are going out of fashion!  What I
would recommend is that you use the screen 'expanding' feature of your
laptop (IBM included *everything* you just have to find it) and find a
nice text console that works in the expanding resolution.  Usually vga=1
(aka vga=extended) being added to your lilo.conf file will do nicely.

Only use the framebuffer if you plan to use the mains power 24/7, also it
is *much* slower than the normal text console mode.

enjoy yer self

Alex