I think you need new ALSA drivers for the 2.4.x kernel.

	Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:28:26 +1200
	From: Nemir Shaker <nemir@gatekeeper.hispeed.com>

	Hi all

	I have  2.2r2  on my notebook, but have been unsuccessful in configuring

	the Maestro 3 sound hardware. I have 2.4.2 running.  I also D/L the ALSA

	drivers and configured, but still without much luck.  I swore I would
	not give into this, but work is keeping me away from solving the
	problem, so need someones advice.

	Thanks in advance

		 Nemir