Re: Problem installing Potato on Inspiron8000

Hi,

first of all: Don't worry, Debian CAN be installed on the I8000 so
that absolurly everything runs perfectly!

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 03:48:04PM +0200, Emilien Arino wrote:
> I tried to install Potato on my new laptop but I'm having troubles.
> The system hangs during the first reboot (after the install of the base system) just after this message:
> "Starting the network SuperServer : inetd" (or something like that I don 't remember exactly).

Probably, you use a kernel with activated PCMCIA support which is
causing a kernel panic during boot unless you install a patched version
of pcmcia-cs. You should be able to boot in single user mode though.

I put a tarball (dell.tgz) at http://people.debian.org/~gbechly/
with all the necessary files and docs to install Debian on the
Dell I8000. This tarball also includes a customized kernel 2.4.3
as deb and patched debs for pcmcia-cs and SVGAlib.

Best luck,
Guenter

--
Linux: Who needs GATES in a world without fences?