Re: XFree 4.0.2 and Trident Cyber 9397

> On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Scibor Sobieski wrote:
> >
> > I have Twinhead Slimnote XL2 with Trident Cyber 9397 graphic adapter
> > (4MB).
> >
> I have Uniwill's version of that laptop (more or less, the companies now
> seem to work together).  Through lots of trial and error you will find the
> more or less perfect XF86Config as an attachment (as I have the same
> card). [not to mailing list->only to Scibor]

Uniwill is an actual manufacturer.  I'm sure it is possible to get the exact
same system from a number of smaller vendors as well, it would just be hard
to be sure who, since vendors are encouraged to use their own model names.

> Payment will be in the form of......beer ;)
>
> I am a student so what did you expect....
>
> > After stating X I see onlu 10% of view on the right site of the screen
> > (1024x68 resol.), when I start in 640x480 resol. I see only top of the
> > view and the botom.

horizontal sync off spec?

> > It's very strange becouse first I install Mandrake distributions with
> > XFree 4.0.1 and it work fine, and even I copy my old config so I think
> > tha it's problem with this version of Xfree but i'm not sure.

More likely, the defaults changed between one patchlevel and another?
If your previous config didn't need to specify because it was defaulting
to a correct setting, that would leave you high and dry should it change...

Thus the advice offered by most X servers, to explicitly set any correctly
probed options in your config file.  It speeds the start (since it no longer
probes those things) and prevents getting bit by this sort of thing.

> as said else where its the CyberShadow option that needs to be enabled.
> This is due to the screen stretching thing.  If you hit your screen
> stretch hot keys you will find that all is fine (hit it twice.....[on my
> laptop its Fn-F1]).

(tucking that tip in my tucker-bag.)

> In my XF86Config file I have also found what acceleration features work
> through the suspend(hibernate)/resume cycles.  Hopefully all should be
> okay.
>
> Have fun
> Alex

Have a great day, Alex