Re: Today's Challange
> G'Day !
> Yes that is how I was planning on doing 2 thru N, I guess I was not clear
> on the question.
> My question was which files do I copy from destktop to /dev/hdb and how do
> I make it bootable. I can not figure out how to run the install program
> dbootstrap to configure the base system.
I posted a fairly long slice of mail awhile back about installing debian
without using the debian installer.
The approcimate steps are -
* get access to the system such that you can make partitions
* make a swap and / at least
* drop "Base" into it, using whetever method works
* drop a kernel kit into it, since Base doesn't come with one
* clear /sbin/setup.sh so it doesn't stop coming in
* fix /etc/fstab to be correct
* fix /etc/lilo.conf to be correct & run /sbin/lilo;
alternatively setup a dif't boot method (floppy, or loadlin)
* possibly also doctor network values so it will see network
(/etc/network/interfaces for regular boxen or builtin cards,
drop in card services, have pcmcia modules for pccards,
and don't forget punp/dhclient or to set fixed values in
...though I might have gone into more detail. Much easier if you have
bootability from a floppy, there are lots of rescue floppies, incl. just
installing debian via floppy.
> Do I need to make a boot floppy, to boot the desktop and then install from
> CD to /dev/hdb ? I would rather not, the CD is rather exotic and a pain
> to setup.
Possible to install "just like CD" from about 12 to 15 floppies.
> Jim Parker
Sail onward merrily!
* Heather Stern * star@ many places...