Re: kernel panic

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 11:29:39AM +0000, pplaw wrote:
> debs,
>
> my laptops end up stymied by a custom kernel
> (2.2.18, 2.4.0, 2.4.2), meaing that i recompile
> (using "kernel-package), reboot, reboot (again),
> and the get the lowly "kernel panic...:
>
> attempt to access beyond end of device 03:05
> rw=0, want =2, limit=0
>
> ext2-fs: unable to read superblock attempt to
> access beyond end of device
>
> attempt to access beyond end of device 03:05 rw=0
> want=1, limit=0
> minix-fs
> fat breat failed
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 03:05: rw=0, want=33, limit=0
> isof_read_super: bread failed, dev 03:05
> iso_blknum 16 block 32
>
> kernel panic: vfs: umabel to mount root fs on
> 03:05
>
> is there something i should have done in the recompile?
> (the reboots have been via floppy.)
>
> is there a way to correct w/o a reinstall?
>
> ia, t.
>
> bentley taylor
> potato on 2.2.18.
>
> //

update:

i used a rescue disk to execute a shell, fsck
/dev/hda1, and "take" the default choices for
"deleted inode foo has zero dtime.  fix<y>?" and
"illegal block #foo...."

anyway, i can almost boot again except i cannot
open an inital console:

fs: mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
unable to open an initial console.

i've tried ctrl+alt+f1-12.

how would i get an initial console, again.

ia, t.

bentley taylor.

//