Re: Best "new" laptop

Well, I simply went ahead and bought my dream machine.  It's a Dell Inspiron
8000 with the following specs:

 850MHz Intel Pentium III
 512MB RAM
 30GB HD
 15.0" UXGA (1600x1200) TFT LCD
 32MB ATI Mobility M4 3D, 4xAGP
 10/100 + 56K V.90 NIC/Modem, internal Mini-PCI
 8x DVD-ROM
 8x CDRW
 floppy drive
 2nd battery
 port replicator
 surge protector

The main reason I went for this one is the 512MB (I'll be running VMware
with W2K alongside some memory hungry web apps when I'm working at home).
I checked the other main laptop companies, including MicronPC and only the
latter and Dell supported this amount of memory.  The Micron "only" had a
1400x1050 LCD and no FireWire, so I went for the Dell.  If you need more
disk space, go for the Micron since it supports a second HD in the modular
bay.  For the extra disk space I plan to get an external FireWire drive
from Maxtor (80GB for less then $400).

>From what I read on various news groups and web sites all the features are
supported in Linux, including the internal NIC/Modem. :-)

This beast will arrive early next week and I will let you know how things go.

Thanks,
Ardo

--
Ardo van Rangelrooij