Re: TuxTops 20U: CDR and PCMCIA problems

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 03:35:26PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> I've purchased an Amethyst 20U (Compal 20U OEM) with the optional
> docking base unit containing a floppy and cdrom.
>
> I'm running Debian GNU/Linux, kernel:
>
>     GNU/Linux version 2.2.18pre21 (root@shrink) (gcc version 2.95.2
>     20000220 (Debian GNU/GNU/Linux)) #1 Thu Jan 25 18:40:22 PST 2001
>

> The CDROM is producing the following errors either after a power
> suspend via APM, *OR* after simply having been in operation for a period
> of time.  The problem is decidedly intermittent.

[snip errors]

> Is this a configuration problem, a docking port problem (I *think* the
> damned thing's securely attached -- no problems with the floppy, and the
> CDR is otherwise powered and responsive).  This is, BTW, a CDROM drive.
> *NOT* CD-writable or DVD.  Just plain old CDR.
Hmm, no real idea here. Try I different kernel, I'd say :-\
Or try fiddling with hdparm parameters.
Maybe you already did that, and one of these parameters conflicts with
suspend due to the device forgetting the setup, but the kernel
remembering it ? I had this happen to me several times...

> Other problem:
>
> With PCMCIA, I get the following message when issuing the 'cardmgr'
> command:
>
>     Jan 30 15:15:45 ego cardmgr[2886]: starting, version is 3.1.22
>     Jan 30 15:15:45 ego cardmgr[2886]: open_sock(socket 0) failed: Permission denied
>     Jan 30 15:15:45 ego cardmgr[2886]: no sockets found!
>     Jan 30 15:15:45 ego cardmgr[2886]: exiting
>
> cardmgr is from the pmcia-cs Debian package:
>
>     Package: pcmcia-cs
>     Section: base
>     Installed-Size: 533
>     Maintainer: Brian Mays <brian@debian.org>
>     Architecture: i386
>     Version: 3.1.22-0.1potato
>
> I've read elsewhere that order matters in configuring PCMCIA devices --
> does it matter that the system otherwise already has networking running?
> I've got a PCMCIA fax/modem, but use the onboard NIC (eepro100) for
> LAN-based networking.
Try to use strace -f in order to diagnose this problem upon pcmcia startup.
If it complains about "Permission denied", then it probably has a reason...

Andreas Mohr