From:    simon oregan simono@amxstudios.com
Sent:    Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:46:29 GMT
To:      ssforza@visto.com
CC:      debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Debian & PCMCIA & My Crappy Laptop (tm)

Hi,

I had this problem on my laptop and it was because the start up sequence
was trying to start networking before loading the pcmcia card. Once I
changed the startup order (/etc/rc3.d symlinks) it worked for me.

Hope this helps,

Simon.

On 1/27/01, 10:23:09 PM, "Steven Sforza" <ssforza@visto.com> wrote
regarding Debian & PCMCIA & My Crappy Laptop (tm):

> This one is frustrating the hell out of me, and it seems like last time I
got it to work I just got lucky or something, so I'm hoping one of you guys
will actually know what I'm talking about and be able to help me get this
going...
> I downloaded the low-memory version of Debian onto floppies and
> installed it onto my Crappy Laptop (tm) - a CompuAdd 486/25 with 4MB of
ram. So I got the base image loaded fine.
> Problem is, I can't get the PCMCIA port to work - during bootup, it gives
me an error saying that the port is "Device or Resource busy," even if
nothing's in it.
> The pcmcia.conf file states that it should be set either to a tcic style
or an i836214 (or something like that) style - I've tried both and have had
the same problem both times (although I seem to remember tcic (the less
popular one) being the one that worked.
> What sucks is I have gotten it to work before after this same problem and
I don't remember how. It is NOT a bad port, it has something to do with the
configuration.
> Anyone have any ideas I can try?
> This thing might as well be a doorstop if I can't get a modem and/or NIC
to work on it...