choosing a keyboard layout in X4

I've finally got X 4.0.2 to display on my VAIO (NM 2380), but the
keyboard is  not right.  The Windows keys don't work (believe it or not
I do use them in X!).  I don't know how to specify which keyboard layout
I need.  The only keyboard related stuff in XF86Config-4 is
Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier "Keyboard0"
  Driver "keyboard"
EndSection

How do I tell it what layout to use?  What are my options (and how do I
find them)?  I've read the docs, but they weren't too helpful in this
case.  If somebody could point me to an appropriate document I'd be
happy.

Thanks.
noah

--