Re: Parallel Printer Port Problem

Hey-ya Paul,

How's the weather down-under?  It's cold here (San Francisco).

The only two things that don't work are the sound and the parallel printer.

On the sound, the chipset is the ESS Maestro 3 which so new there are no drivers that work that are included in the distribution.  However, there's a beta driver in the form of source code that I've been fiddling with, but I'm not that experiences with compiling modules so I don't have it working yet.  Check it out at this url:

http://www.zabbo.net/maestro3/

On the parport_pc, I know the port works because I can plug the floppy or cdrom drive into it and access either.  At least I hope that's a good indicator.

I use the standard SVGA xserver for Gnome X and it works nicely.  I also have APM working quite nicely, the system suspends and resumes without trouble.  I've found the power meter on gnome-panel to be fairly accurate.  I've had to fiddle with the bios settings a little to tune, but that's been very receptive.  I had some trouble running vmware but then realized I had compiled the kernel with symetric multi-processing turned on.  I recompiled to uni-processor and that fixed it.  PCMCIA services work fine, accept I've not been able to get this new Xircom RealPort Cardbus 10/100+56k Modem to work.  It loads, without errors, but the IP interface doesn't work and the modem won't dial.  My Intel 10/100 cards works great though and I suspect an older pcmcia modem would work too.

Let me know if you have other questions.  I know a guy whose building RedHat on the same pc and he's getting it working.

jc