Re: Parallel Printer Port Problem

> G'Day !
>
> I am not sure about this, I only use my parallel port for an old zip
> drive, and then not often enough ....
>
> There are 4 parallel port modules located in the /lib/modules/2.2.18/misc
> directory  (parport.o, parport_pc.o, parport_probe.o, and paride.o).
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they are dependent on each
> other.  I would try to load various combinations of the above modules,
> till you can figure out the correct combinations.

parport itself is the really incredibly core part.  If you don't have that
nothing parallel will work, don't care which architecture you are.

parport_pc is the usual PC style parallel ports.  It's so named because
some arch's have their own types, but might have PC style ports on some
models.  Alpha for example.  In short, it's the "real" device driver and
you need that too, immediately after loading parport.

Usually there will be notes in the modutils files about those two, so that
they'll tend to auto load.

lp is the parallel print module.  If you're not going to print - e.g.
laplink style cross connecting, zip drive from antiquity etc. - then you
won't need it.  OTOH if you *do* want to print, you must have it, or there
won't be enough to notice good printer protocols going on.

Other devices have their own protocols and for those things, you'd need
their protocol modules instead.  Such as paride.

> Hope this helps.

Hope my expansion helps too :)

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...