Re: network configuration

Kamath <kamath@cs.odu.edu> writes:

<snip>
> do I have to set-up any COM ports etc on which the modem is
> communicating ??or do I have to do any more configurations other than what
> the install script/program has done to configure PCMCIA
> dial-up(dial-out)???
</snip>

1) You don't have to setup the "COM" ports (I'd guess /dev/ttyS2)
   explicitly.  Actually, saving/restoring the status of the serial
   ports doesn't work well for PCMCIA controlled ports but
   /etc/init.d/setserial which reads/sets /etc/serial.conf knows about
   that.

2)  BUT your serial port has to work.  (You're thinking "duh".)  Your
    PCMCIA card _shouldn't_ use any of the standard IRQs (3 & 4), so
    sharing isn't a problem.  I'm not on my laptop, so I can't check
    whether you _need_ the serial module, I'd make sure however that
    the kernel has access to it if necessary.

*Most importantly*: how old is your PCMCIA cs?  Once upon a time
serial ports didn't work well and upgrading helped all people who
complained on this list!

I've probly missed it -- what versions are you running?  Debian,
PCMCIA cs etc.

Good luck,
  -tom