Re: screen goes black

Russell Coker wrote:

I've recently started having a problem with my Thinkpad T20 where the screen goes black. It will happen while I'm working at seemingly random periods. Any new text or graphics that is displayed (in text mode or X) will appear as normal, and changing VT's will result in all text being correct.

I have just recompiled my kernel (same version and options).

It's kernel 2.4.0-test10.

This problem occurs when X isn't running or when X is running.

Welcome to laptop use. It's very likey your screen or some wiring is loose. It's nothing to be concerned with at all. It's directly related to how many times you drop or squeeze the case in your bookbag. =)

Simply moving the screen on it's hinge will sometimes be enough, and other times you may need to press the sides of the screen casing together gently and it should work.

If all else fails you'll have to take it apart and do some reconnecting or even replace a cracked screen.

I haven't used that exact model of thinkpad, but I can asure you it's a common thing. Laptops aren't made to last very long. I've had maybe 3 in 2 years, so it's important you can repair them so that you can resell them to buy newer, faster ones.

cheers,
Terry

| GooseEgg    http://gooseegg.sourceforge.net       |
| QuakeForge  http://www.quakeforge.net             |
| Personal    http://www.westga.edu/~stu7440        |
|      Death is running Debian GNU/Linux            |