Re: Woody on Toshiba Tecra 8100

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 11:52:23PM +0000, Tom Breza [siaraX] wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Miguel A. Figueroa wrote:
>  Hi
>  I have simmilar problems on my Toshiba Satelite PRO 4300
>  finaly I make work my sound card with kernel 2.4.0-test12 where Yamafa YMF* is included
>  in sound cards, my sound card is working with driver in Native mode, I try use it
>  in lagency mode but mashine is hanging during the startup, but two things
>  one like I see lots of ppl have the same problem sound hang when Laptop is going to suspend mode :(((
>  second that the quality of the sound is bit low, I left on small partiniton W2K to play DVD and sound is much better

I had sound more or less working on 2.2 kernels on a Toshiba 490CDT (sound
is Yamaha OPL2).  I found it wouldn't usually reset after suspending &
resuming, so I would reset it manually.

My kernel .config file had something like:

#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_CS4281 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_FUSION is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_EMU10K1 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAESTRO is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ESSSOLO1 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ICH is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SONICVIBES is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDCLAS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDPIN is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_PAS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SB is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_GUS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MPU401 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_PSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SSCAPE is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_TRIX is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAD16 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_WAVEFRONT is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CS4232 is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA2=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAUI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SGALAXY is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA1 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SOFTOSS is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=m
CONFIG_SOUND_VMIDI=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_UART6850 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_NM256 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_YMPCI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_YMFPCI is not set

#
# Additional low level sound drivers
#
# CONFIG_LOWLEVEL_SOUND is not set

and in /etc/modules.conf (or conf.modules or whatever it is) I had

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/sound
# Sound
alias char-major-14 opl3sa2
pre-install opl3sa2 modprobe "-k" "ad1848"
post-install opl3sa2 modprobe "-k" "opl3"
options opl3sa2 io=0x370 mss_io=0x530 mpu_io=0x330 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
options opl3 io=0x388
post-install opl3 /usr/bin/aumix -L

### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/sound

It basically worked.  I now have a 2.4 kernel, but I haven't been able to
test it for sound yet.  It appears to use much the same kernel configuration
for sound.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A