Re: Sony PCG-C1VN PictureBook, ATI Rage Mobility

On 2000-12-14, ISHIKAWA Mutsumi <ishikawa@linux.or.jp> wrote:
:
: I recommend to use XFree86 4.0.1h or later.  Current woody's xfree86
: packages (4.0.1-11) based on 4.0.1Z.  XFree86 4 serias ATI driver of
: 4.0.1g or earler does not work on this machine correctly (need some
: patches).  [...]  XFree86 3.3.6's Mach64 server does not work. SVGA
: server could work but a little buggy (When X was finished, console
: would be broken...)

	This was the answer for me.  I grabbed the XFree86 4.0.1Z
sources from their anonymous CVS server and built them in /opt, and
used as a template the XF86Config file I found here:

    Sony Vaio C1VN Linux How-To
	http://www.bastille-linux.org/jay/vaio.html

	Maybe I'll try woody at some point, but for now all is well
[pretty much].  Thanks for the help!

Tres Hofmeister <tres@rap.ucar.edu> wrote:
:
: I've just installed Debian 2.2 on a new Sony PictureBook, the
: PCG-C1VN.  It has an 8MB ATI Rage Mobility graphics controller,
: which doesn't seem to be supported under Debian 2.2/XFree86 3.3.6.
: I tried a quick build of XFree86 4.0.1 from source, installed in /opt,
: but had little success.  Perhaps I'm just missing something...

--
Tres Hofmeister <tres@rap.ucar.edu>      http://www.rap.ucar.edu/~tres/
Research Applications Program, National Center for Atmospheric Research