laptop installation

Hi there. Long time debian user here, since slink... but I've run into some problems recently. My laptop (Dell Inspiron 3200) has been kinda out of action for the last 6 or 8 weeks with some video hardware problems, but now those seem to be resolved after several trips to the Dell factory. Since I got it back this past Tuesday, I've been attempting to get debian back on it and up to a usable state of woody (heh). I was doing this from school, where they have a 100mbps microwave connection to the school's local isp, so I was averaging about 85-90k/s from eecs.umich.edu ;).

Anyway, these are my problems. The only debian cd I have in posession is an old-as-mud slink cd (which btw uses kernel 2.0.36), and since I'm devoting my laptop's entire hard drive to linux, this is the only way I decided I could install debian. So I proceeded to install the base system off the slink cd and configure it for network use so I could dist-upgrade from there. Next, I thought it would be wise to dist-upgrade from slink to potato, instead of right from slink to woody, so I did so. No problems there. Things started getting really sketchy when I did the dist-upgrade from potato to woody. Everything downloaded fine (using apt-get -f dist-upgrade), but then it said it had to temporarily remove perl-base before it could proceed, but it couldn't. Apt suggested I pass the APT::Force-LoopBreak to apt-get (by using apt-get dist-upgrade -o APT::Force-LoopBreak=yes) to force it to proceed. So I did, and it worked, until it had to use some perl scripts that wanted IO.pm, and puked. Everything stopped working then, because there were about 13 packages that couldn't be configured (from base). What I didn't realize at the time, however, was that IO.pm was a part of the actual perl package (perl5.6 in woody's case, and perl-5.005 in potato's case), and not perl-base. Stupid me, because I realized this right when I had to leave, so I would have to start over the next day.

So I started over (today). I had slink already installed before I got to school, so all I had to do was dist-upgrade to potato and then woody. I remembered this time, however, to install the perl package before upgrading in case anything needed it. The reason for not including this in the first place was because I was just upgrading the base, without installing anything extra at all, which I probably shouldn't have done. That's besides the point though. Anyway, it seemed to work, because upgrading to woody now found IO.pm and all the other stuff it needed to have. So that worked OK. However, I then ran into another problem when dpkg was configuring modutils. It couldn't finish configuring modutils, because there was this little error:

error: QM_MODULES: function not implemented

I have a strong urge to think this has something to do with the existing kernel on my system, which had been installed from slink's 2.0.36 base installation. Am I correct in assuming this, and do I need to start over again after upgrading the system to a 2.2 kernel before dist-upgrading to woody so it'll be able to configure modutils? Has anyone else run into this problem yet? I'm almost considering switching back to slackware on my laptop and using debian on my pc's, because it's there's just SO much downloading involved with unstable (as always, and yes I'm used to it because I used potato in unstable state for a long long time), and my laptop isn't all that fast (p2-266 on 64mb of ram). Suggestions are welcome.

One final note... How would you guys recommend partitioning a 4gb hard drive? :) I don't really want to use one big partition, which I've been doing for a long time, so I decided to split it up this installation. I tried an 800mb /, 1200mb /home, 1800mb /usr, and 250mb /var (which actually isn't big enough since downloading deb packages can take well over 300mb, so that'll HAVE to be bigger). The rest (about 60mb) was devoted to swap. I feel like I need to learn about partitioning schemes :).

Thanks for the help, and good luck to all you developers. I'll be joining you soon ;)

- Jordan

webfreak@themes.org - email
http://e.themes.org - php developer (yes, i really am)