Re: PCMCIA Ethernet speeds

On 12/12/00 4:16 PM, Heather (star@starshine.org) wrote:
>I've usually found myself knocking out 3,4 (serial) 7 (parallel) and 5
>(sound).

>I haven't usually needed to knock out 11.

The card is using IRQ 9 now, and it still has problems which is why I'm
starting to suspect that it's more than an interrupt issue.

I went to Linksys' site, and although they don't have anything in their
driver download section, they did talk about Linux in their tech support
section.  Unfortunately, I'm not experienced enough in Linux to
troubleshoot/customize their module compilation procedures (monkey see,
monkey no understand) with respect to my particular system (Deb 2.2).

I managed to find my way to a deeper discussion of DEC's Tulip driver
(http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html ) that manages the card, but I
was way over my head there.  Looks like a weekend project (which is cool
for something grand like setting up a network but is depressing just to
learn enough to hopefully get my Ethernet card working :P

I'm not qualified to judge, but I'd be a little surprised if putting in a
new tulip driver is really the problem.  The card seems pretty common
with respect to a DEC setup and NE2K compliance.  I'd think that my
system would already be equipped to handle a fairly common setup like
this.  *shrug*

>I do like to check the CMOS setup
>and if it has some sort of setting about being "plug and play" to turn that
>off.

Loaded up Win98, and the card worked fine.  Restarted it and loaded into
Linux via BootMagic, and the slow speeds are still there.  (Actually, on
my T20, I couldn't even find a PnP setting to turn off...)

>If you have the wrong netmask, even if your gateway is right and you're
>inside the range that you express, it can screw up the ability for bits
>to get back to you.

I'm pretty sure I'm ok here.  I'm testing it on a vanilla C network.
(netmask = 255.255.255.0
broadcast = 192.168.1.255, 3 machines on it, etc.)

>Finally, you might also check if you're accidentally getting the same IP
>address as someone else on your segment, or the same MAC address as a card
>on your segment.

It's a problem regardless of whose network I'm on; so, I'm ok here.

Steve