PCMCIA Ethernet speeds

(I posted this on the debian-user list, but I never got a response.
Maybe, the folks here can shed some light since it's PCMCIA related...)

I've been fooling around with a 2.2 Debian distribution on a ThinkPad
T20 (company laptop, *cough*), and the network transfers on my home
LAN are really slow.  After spending a few hours going through Deja
and various HOW-TO's, I'm running out of hairs to pull...

- The file transfers work fine when I boot Win98 up on the laptop so
the network hardware should be ok.

- I'm using a LinkSys PCMCIA card that's supposed to be NE2K based,
and cardmgr recognizes it as such.  Nothing seems to be amiss in the
syslog with respect to picking up the card.

- I was monitoring the eth0 interface with ifconfig, and the bigger
the files, the worse the collisions become.  A small file or info
requests are fairly collision free, but transferring a 2.5 MB file
will give me collisions of around 17-25% of the packets received.
But the laptop is only negligibly competing for hub time vs. the
other computers on the LAN .

- I've tried excluding certain IRQs from the card in case there was a
hardware conflict, but after excluding 3,4, 7, and 11, I'm starting
to think that this isn't the issue.

Does anybody here have any ideas as to what's going on?  I thought
Linksys was fairly decent wrt Linux compatibility (?)

Steve