Proper suspend mode (no more on/off switching)

Hi,

probably a stupid question: How can I automate the re-assignment of my
laptop's IP address?

Linux runs just perfectly on my laptop, APM is fully supported, suspend to
disk works as expected, as does my PCMCIA network card. Thanks everyone.

However, it's quite slow and and I move a lot between different networks
(home, university, office, places where I don't need the network card at
all).

Using DHCP, at my new location I often do telinit 1 and back just to make
sure that all my applications know that the local ip address has changed.

Is there any way to automate this, without telinit 1 ? (Maybe I just don't
quite get this.)

My ideal scenario would be waking up the laptop from suspend, inserting
the network card and somehow making sure that all applications running on
my laptop (e.g. apache, X, exim) get informed about the new network
adapter and / or the new IP address, while they continue to run. Similar
to this, I would want to remove the PCMCIA card just as easy.

Basically, I don't want to do a real shutdown of my laptop at all, I just
want to use suspend to disk / wakeup; going from one office to another;
without leaving or restarting X to do so.

Links for further reading are appreciated.

Greetings,

Hanno