Re: PCMCIA install

On Monday 04 December 2000 19:40, Craig Laird wrote:
> I tried installing potato (2.2_rev0  -  binary-i386-1.iso) from CD on my
> Sharp 9340T laptop.  When I rebooted into Linux after the install, things
> seem to go well until 'Loading PCMCIA Services: modules'  when the system
> hangs.  I don't have any PCMCIA cards in. Lil' help? -Craig

I know it seems kind of weird that it is hanging even though you don't have
any pc cards inserted. However, at the point when your init script echos
pcmcia_core.o and ds.o for your pcmcia _controller_.

I'm not very familiar with Sharp laptops. I have know idea what kind of
pcmcia controller it has in it. Have you read through the pcmcia-howto?

This most probably sounds like an interrupt problem or an IO port problem. To
quote from the pcmcia-howto:

3.3 Interrupt scan failures

Symptoms:
 - The system locks up when the PCMCIA drivers are loaded, even with no cards
    present.
 - The system log shows a successful host controller probe just before the
    lock-up, but does not show interrupt probe results.

You can verify the latter statement by booting to a single mode (by-pass
starting pcmcia) and look at /var/log/messages for info from the kernel about
what happened when you tried to insert the pcmcia core modules. The problem
could also be an IO port scan which is addressed in the same howto, section
3.4 . At this point, I would suggest that you curl up with section 3.3 & 3.4
of the pcmcia-howto. For the latest version go to

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO.html

Hope you are able to find some options for action to take. Let me know if it
works out -- or if you are still having problems ;-)

Regards,

Joseph Schlecht <joschlec@debian.org>