Re: slink->potato, then X missed scan freq

> [my apologies to the owner, but i don't want to subscribe to a list for
> a (i hope stupid) question...]
> [[so, i'm not subscribed, reply please in private]]

Don't worry, you've been cc'd.

> I've upgraded from slink to potato my portable computer, a CompaQ LTE
> 5280.
>
> Then X missed completely the scan frequencies (displaying strange lines
> and strange light zones on dislpay). I've tried do fiddle with scan
> freq in some way but i've no clue.
>
> Luckily i've another slink machine, so i've reget the XF86_SVGA server
> of slink, and all work well again.

Use xvidtune, and capture into a textfile the modelines that each of your
modes actually ends up at.  Don't forget to use Next to go through all of
your resolutions.

Upgrade if that's still what you'd like to do, making sure to keep a copy
of the slink .deb file for your X server so you can easily go back if this
doesn't work.  (in other words, don't keep it someplace where it might get
wiped, like /tmp or /var/cache/apt/archives.)  Before launching into your
newly upgraded X session, go into your /etc/X11/XF86Config file, and create
a new Monitor section.  This new Monitor should *only* mention the modelines
which you already were using.  You can also check that the Screen sections
mention all the sizes you want in the right order - and you should change
the monitor ID they point at, to the new Monitor you created.  Oh yeah, your
new Monitor section should also correctly set your HorizSync and VertRefresh
values.

That should defeat X's normal autoselection, in favor of known-good information.

> Compact data:
>
> PC: CompaQ LTE 5280
> VGA: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD 7543 [Viking]
> XServer: XF86_SVGA
> Modeline: "800x600"  36  800 840 968 1000  600 601 605 640  +hsync +vsync
> 	(getted from linux-laptop pages or link in here)
>

> Thanks.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

* Heather * star@ many places...