strange melting screen when X starts

Hi,

I installed the newest XFree86 4.0.1 on my Debian2.1 laptop recently,
and now it works. But there are still some problems.

My laptop is Twinhead Slimnote VX3, Toshiba 12.1" TFT LCD, 800x600 SVGA,
2560K VideoRAM, Trident Cyber 9525DVD chip.

1) After start up the X, I always get a unreadable colorful screen. It
melts from the edges to the center of the screen. After doing ctrl-alt-+
to switch to 800x600 or 640x480 mode, it will be ok. I don't know where
this colorful screen comes from, since I only have 800x600 and 640x480
in my XF86Config file.

2) After start xdm, I can't login using a normal user account. Only root
is ok. If I login as others, it will give me that colorful screen. And I
have to switch to 800x600. Then I am still not logged in.

3) I can't exit from X properly. In xdm, if I click on the 'exit' in the
pop menu, it will show me the colorful screen again, and more worse,
keyboard and mouse will stop responding. I have to tune off the power
and start again.

After running xvidtune I got these settings:

Pixel clock(MHz): 56.30
HSync(KHz): 53.72
Sync(Hz): 85.14

Hdisplay: 800
HSync start: 832
HSync end: 896
Htotal: 1048

Vdisplay: 600
VSync start: 601
VSync end: 604
Vtotal: 631

In /var/log/XFree86.0.log file I found

Trident(0): Setting BIOS MODE 6d

and after I do ctrl-alt-+ it will change to 6c, do it again, it will
back to 6d. I don't know what that means. Does it matter?

Yesterday, I tried to change something in XF86Config, and then start
xdm, the colorful screen became a bit readable. I can see the
login frame, although it's very ugly. I forgot what I changed. Probable
the dot clocks and modeline.

Thanks for any suggestions!

lin

       __o       o