Re: pcmcia modem

> From: monte <monte@ipex.com.tw>
> Subject: Re: pcmcia modem
> Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 12:38:50 +0800
>
> >     I never use a PCMCIA modem. But I guess (with 80% confidence)
> > your modem is not ttyS1, because usually the ttyS1 and ttyS2 are
> > occupied by your computer's built-in RS-232 ports (COM1 and COM2).
> > So maybe you should checked with PCMCIA doc. to see what device id
> > your modem is registered with the kernel.
>
> i don't know what else was in the machine referred to in the original
> question, but in my experience, most machines that have pcmcia
> capability are laptops (how i wish that were not true...).  many of
> the "newer" laptops lack built-in serial rs-232 ports -- preferring
> usb.  i've never seen a laptop w/ 2 built-in serial rs-232 ports (not
> saying there aren't any, just not that many).

My laptop has a built-in serial port, so the modem is assigned to ttyS1.
In my original post I also forgot to mention that I am running kernel
2.2.15 and pcmcia-cs 3.1.8. I find out in the Debian Bug track system that
there is a bug in the serial.o module in the kernel whcih causes it to
mess the address in serial PCMCIA devices. This is why the modem could not
be opened. Newer versionr of PCMCIA (> 3.1.8) have a workaround for this
which consists in a few lines added to /etc/pcmcia/serial. Someone posted
a patch to the Bug tracking system. I've tried it and now everything works
fine.

Yours,

Luis