New kernel (2.2.15), now keyboard/machine freezes often

I've just compiled and installed a new kernel (version 2.2.15) on a
friend's Toshiba laptop.  He has emailed me today complaining about
keyboard freezes.  Actually, I'm not sure from his comments, whether
it is just the keyboard that freezes or the whole computer.

Sometimes it seems to happen straight away, just after a reboot.
Other times it works for a little while after a reboot, but then
freezes when changing consoles.

I am guessing perhaps there is some configuration option for the
kernel which I should have turned on or off.  Does anyone know what
the problem might be?

Thanks,

Mark.