PCMCIA CD-ROM

Is there a way to edit pcmcia.conf or cdrom.opts or is there a boot parameter that will make my EXP-940 CD-ROM get recognized as a CD-ROM. Right now it is being recognized as: "tty00 is a 16550A". My card is listed in pcmcia.conf, but in supported.cards it says that some work and some don't. I'm still hoping mine does. It gets power to it, opens and closes, and will spin up a CD, but that's it. I'm hoping there is just something I'm missing in the scripts somewhere.
I'm using debian 2.1 slink on a ThinkPad 755c

Thank you,
--Marc