IBM Thinkpad 560 (or close) on external monitor anyone?

Greetings, and Happy Easter folks,

After several hours of trying to get an external monitor working with
my IBM 560, I am giving up without some help.  Many months ago, I think
I saw a note about some "special things" that had to be added to the
XF86CONFIG file, to get this working.

I have been hunting the web, but can't find the information.  I got
the refesh rates (hopefully correct) from www.monitorworld.com on the
DELL DL1439 (14 inch, H 30-35.5khz, V 70hz) but I think XF86 is
somehow "confused".  The XF86Setup seems to work OK in the VGA16
server, but even running "startx" always causes flickering, multiple
images.

Anyone got an external monitor working on a 560, or anything close?

I am *SO* anxious to see enlightenment, wmaker, gimp, etc., ultimately
on at 800x600 16bpp, but I would be happy for now just Linux (X) up
on a real tube!  Windows 95 works OK, so I know the monitor functions
with this box.

I will be in great debt to anyone that can help me,

Many thanks in advance,

John