Re: PCMCIA /dev nodes

From: Germano Leichsenring <germano@jedi.cs.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: PCMCIA /dev nodes
Date: 21 Apr 2000 13:51:33 +0900

> Well, I mean devices which can be created with:
> mknod /dev/pcmcia0 c 254 0
> mknod /dev/pcmcia1 c 254 1

ah, i didn't know about major number 254 -- but, according to
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt on my machine (2.2.14):

  240-254         LOCAL/EXPERIMENTAL USE

so i get the impression that the feature is experimental -- what
kernel version are you using?

> If you make these devices, you can try:
>
> cs_status_t status;
> fd = open("/dev/pcmcia1", O_RDONLY);
> ioctl(fd, DS_GET_STATUS, &status);
>
> and get the status of the card, there are a couple
> of other functions which can be used. The problem is,
> if the devices don't exist, the program has to be SUID
> to create the node before opening it. I think having
> standards /dev/pcmcia? devices would simplify programs
> which look at these devices, as they don't have to be
> SUID and create the nodes every time (such as /sbin/cardctl).

iirc, there is some kind of policy concerning the creation of devices
for debian -- i have a vague memory of there being a particular
package which was in charge creating device files (well, many of them
anyway)...i think it's the makedev package.  its entry is:

Package: makedev
Section: base
Installed-Size: 124
Maintainer: Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.3.1-41
Replaces: base-files
Depends: base-passwd (>= 3.0.4)
Filename: dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/base/makedev_2.3.1-41.deb
Size: 24468
MD5sum: 73891e335166d11d61b8c784353b6b13
 The MAKEDEV executable is used to populate the /dev directory with device
 files.

so may be you want to get a hold of Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>?