Re: potato: font size is too big.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 10:47:41PM -0700, Heather wrote:

> Netscape's printouts still suck tho.  Sigh.   Anyone try that with NS 6?

I understand from the mini-HOWTO that NS uses only Type 1 fonts when
it creates the .ps file to print, even though it displays TTF and even
though gs will use TTF (if configured).

> What sort of misbehaviors does it have that made the difference for you?
> I hacked xfsft patches into my own X server at some point, and stopped paying
> attention to other renderers until recently;  now I'm curious.  I liked
> xfsft because I already know how to hack font.dir and font.alias files...

Well, I just didn't find the font display on this laptop to be as pleasing
in NS with the xfs-xtt server as I do now with the xfs and xfstt combination.
Displayed fonts were much smaller and scaling was much poorer, IMO, even
though I configured xfs-xtt to use 100 dpi and set up the font paths as
I do now with the seperate servers.  I wish I had made a screenshot so
I could demonstrate the difference I found here.

> Consider it requested :)

Okay, here it is:

Fragment of /etc/X11/XF86Config

# See 'man XF86Config' for info on the format of this file

Section "Files"
   RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
   FontPath    "unix/:7101"
   FontPath    "unix/:7100"
#   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
#   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
#   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
#   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
#   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
#   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
#   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

The mini-HOWTO recommends keeping the misc directory available so the
X server has the fallback to the Fixed font if the font servers should
be unreachable.  FTE uses this font for its X display and I found
garbled text if the line was placed after the references to the two
servers.  So, placing it ahead satisfied FTE and hasn't seemed to harm
other apps.

The first server in the list is the xfstt server so that if a web page
specifiess an arial font it will be displayed by NS using an arial TTF
rather than a helvetica Type 1 font.

- Nate >>

--

 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | heartily, but good